Is there even one?

I know the adjective for "Duke" would be "ducal" ("of, like or relating to a Duke or dukedom"). But I can't find a good version of the word for an Earl.

Any thoughts?

Sorry if this is not the appropriate venue for this question, but thought I would give it a shot.

  • 3
    You might use "comital" as it is the adjective form of "count". "Count" is equivalent to the English "earl", "earl" surviving as a title after the Norman Conquest as the historic title name. "Countess" is used in English as the feminine form of "earl", as there seems to be no native historic equivalent..
    – J. Taylor
    Dec 7 '18 at 21:31
  • 4
    Obviously, "early" would be the adverb.
    – Hot Licks
    Dec 7 '18 at 22:42
  • @HotLicks: Either you're taking the joke one step too far, or you've fallen into the trap of thinking that all "-ly" words are adverbs.  Words like "chilly", "curly", "kingly" and "pearly" are adjectives.  The question is asking for an adjective, and, even in its real meaning, "early" can be an adjective (although it can also be an adverb).
    – Scott
    Dec 8 '18 at 2:36
  • @Scott - It's a joke, son!
    – Hot Licks
    Dec 8 '18 at 3:13
  • @HotLicks: I know that it's meant to be a joke; when I saw the question, I also thought of making a joke about "early". My point is that it's a poorly executed joke, and I find it marvelously ironic that you linked to a video of somebody trying to construct a joke, and getting only 70% of the way there.    :-)    ⁠
    – Scott
    Dec 8 '18 at 3:30

I believe the correct word would be comital, as earl is the English equivalent of a continental count.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.