Practical English Usage 142.20 reads
We usually leave out articles in abbreviated styles:
numbering and labelling
- Go through door A
- Control to Car 27: can you hear me?
- Turn to page 26.
What can be considered labels? For example, "on page 10" and "in Chapter 2" are clear. But do the following need "the"?
- The/_ name 'John' is popular.
- We suggest use the/_ method Y...
- ...as the/_ variable x grows...
- The/_ words "evokeo cvec" do not mean anything.
In other words, can "the" be omitted in every noun + its label/name phrase?