I would like to ask for native English speakers’ opinion on the best way to write down my English name.

My name is Minhyuk Lim(Korean name), and in the most of business circumstances, foreign business partners do not know how to pronounce Minhyuk. In fact, my name, just like the most of Korean names, is consist of two syllables (Min + Hyuk) written in two separate letters in Korean. So I normally use just Min as an English name, not using the second syllable ‘Hyuk’.

I have been called as Min and would like to keep being called Min going forward. At the same time, however, I would like to represent my full name in my corporate namecard or the like. What could be the best way to write down my name among examples as below?

Min (Minhyuk) Lim

Minhyuk (Min) Lim

Min H. Lim

Min Lim

closed as primarily opinion-based by Mari-Lou A, Scott, Azor Ahai, Chenmunka, Hellion Dec 12 '18 at 13:58

Many good questions generate some degree of opinion based on expert experience, but answers to this question will tend to be almost entirely based on opinions, rather than facts, references, or specific expertise. If this question can be reworded to fit the rules in the help center, please edit the question.

  • 4
    Minhyuk (Min) Lim. The convention is that the name in parenthesis is the name you want to be called. – ab2 Dec 5 '18 at 10:58
  • Another option is Min Hyuk Lim, but indicating the preferred form for addressing you is useful. – Chris H Dec 5 '18 at 12:39
  • Out of interest which name is your inherited family name and which is your personal given name? I understand that traditionally Korean family names are normally placed first and are followed by the given name. However Lim looks more like a family name to me. If this is the case I would suggest that you use Min and Hyuk as separate given (forenames), include the H as an initial if you wish and expect people to call you Min. This would follow normal English practice. Think of George W Bush, Franklin D Roosevelt and Darryl F Zanuck. – BoldBen Dec 5 '18 at 12:47
  • Thanks all. I will consider either Min H. Lim or Minhyuk (Min) Lim. Considering I do not have a middle name, technically, Minhyuk (Min) Lim could be more suitable. To BoldBen: yes Lim is a family name and Minhyuk is my personal given name. Min H Lim seems that I have a middle name starting with H. Isn’t it? – Min Dec 5 '18 at 13:32
  • 4
    Minhyuk "Min" Lim is also acceptable. – jimm101 Dec 5 '18 at 22:28

To some extent this is a matter of personal preference. However, in the US at least, it is common on business cards and e-mail to use one of the following options:

  • Minhyuk "Min" Lim
  • Minhyuk (Min) Lim

The quotes or parenthesis indicate the name you prefer to be addressed by.

You also might consider hyphenating your given name - hyphenation is not an uncommon way for Koreans to transliterate their disyllabic given names into English, making them look a bit easier to pronounce.

  • Min-Hyuk "Min" Lim
  • Min-Hyuk (Min) Lim

Presumably in Korea your name, in Romanized alphabetical characters would be written Lim Min-Hyuk.

The idea of putting a single middle initial e.g. George W. Bush, is an American style, not nearly so often used in Britain, where we either quote a single first name, or initials only. In your case that would be either Min Lim or M.H.Lim.

  • OP's name is not Minh-Yuk, it's Min-Hyuk. – Mark Beadles Dec 8 '18 at 19:01
  • Also, Korean characters are alphabetical. – Mark Beadles Dec 8 '18 at 19:05
  • 1
    @MarkBeadles I apologise to you and the OP for the schoolboy error of assuming Koreans used pictographic characters. (Though the Korean "alphabet" is not quite how we consider an alphabet I believe. Some characters relate to syllables. ) I have made the necessary amendments to my post. – WS2 Dec 9 '18 at 9:01

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.