My child sometimes pushes a chair over so that the chair lies flat on the floor. I'd like to instruct the child to make the chair stand again.

Pull up a chair seems to be more close to the meaning of "sit with us". So maybe "Put the chair up?" or "Stand the chair?" How would a native English speaker instruct his child to bring the chair back up again?


To use the word "put" you could say "put the chair upright" or "...right side up." As others have said "pick the chair up" is the more common way to say it.

| improve this answer | |
  • 3
    I would say, and have said, "pick that chair up!". – Michael Harvey Dec 3 '18 at 19:47
  • @MichaelHarvey Totally right. For some reason I couldn't think of that when I first answered. – Eliot K Dec 3 '18 at 19:54

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.