In Chinese, when we want to express the idea of "change A which is erroneous to B which is correct", we usually say "correct A to B"; very concise, right? But is it the proper way to express that meaning?

If so, please cite a web page containing that expression; if not, present the correct way please and cite a web page too.

  • 1
    What is "sth.A" and "sth.B"? – Mark Nov 7 '11 at 13:24
  • 1
    @Mark sth is an unnecessary abbreviation for something, like sb for somebody. I've corrected sth.X to X. – Hugo Nov 7 '11 at 13:53

Yes, it's fine to use the form "Correct A to B" for simple sentences.

Some examples:


It's not correct to say that. I prefer to use "replace A with B".

e.g. I will replace the broken vase with the new one."

A link for reference as your demand.

  • 2
    In the fix-a-written-mistake context, it certainly is ok to say "correct A to B." Granted, in your example one cannot correctly replace replace with correct. – James Waldby - jwpat7 Nov 7 '11 at 18:32
  • 1
    The problem of "replace A with B" is: it does not implies that A is wrong, unsuitable, unreasonable etc while B is correct, suitable, reasonable . – Jimm Chen Nov 9 '11 at 3:22
  • Using "correct/to" in the OP's sense is not incorrect, it's simply less idiomatic than "replace/with". – Hot Licks Jan 18 '16 at 0:19

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.