The space between flights of stairs that is kinda like a tunnel of sorts. Or a shaft. Does it have a name? It needs a name. Maybe this should be posted on a architecture page.

  • Lightwell if there is a roof window above, – Ian Dec 1 '18 at 17:05

I think you are referring to stairwell:

a long, vertical passage through a building around which a set of stairs is built.

enter image description here

(Cambridge Dictionary)

The idea of “shaft” has been commonly referred to as “well” referring to stairs from about mid-1800.

  • 2
    This is not quite correct. A stairwell is bounded by the exterior of the stairs, not the interior; it includes the space taken by the stairs themselves. If there's another word for the interior space, I haven't been able to find it. – Xerxes Dec 1 '18 at 15:35
  • @Xerxes - it is still a stairwell. If you fall down a stairwell, that’s the shaft you are falling in. – user067531 Dec 1 '18 at 16:03
  • 2
    Not all stairwells have an open space like this. Sometimes there are flights in alternating directions with a very narrow gap between them, and sometimes that gap is filled by a wall. Still, I would probably use the word "stairwell" when describing the middle part of this picture. – David K Dec 1 '18 at 17:43

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.