I'm looking for synonyms for "palette," but the usual Google/Thesaurus.com searches fail pretty hard.

I'm interested in the sense that means "the range of color characteristic of a particular artist or painting or school of art."

I'm actually looking for an alternative term for palette (computing) to avoid confusion with something else that was already called a "palette" in the programming library I am using.

So far, the best synonym I've found is "CLUT" or Color Lookup Table.

  • ColourSet? ColourTable? ColourScheme? ColourIndex? ColourChart? Nov 6, 2011 at 3:18
  • 1
    They perhaps have other connotations that may or may not rule them out for you, but gamut or spectrum might meet your need.
    – Gnawme
    Nov 6, 2011 at 5:14

3 Answers 3


The set of colours that can possibly be created with a given medium is sometimes called a gamut.


Maybe spectrum can work for you.


In the context of a GUI control, I would call it a color chooser or a color selector.

If you are looking for a name for a set of two to four colors that are used predominantly in the interface, then it's the color scheme (but FumbleFingers should post that as an answer and get the credit).

  • You can have the credit - for distinguishing between the GUI control (color selector), and the actual set of colours controlled by it (colour scheme). Nov 6, 2011 at 15:39

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.