Is it correct to say:

He is an English origin person

Rather than:

He is a person of English origin

I am looking for a short way to differentiate between persons of English origin, as opposed to immigrants or their descendants. I can't use English born because descendants are also English born.


"English origin person" sounds awkward to a native speaker. "Person of English origin" is better but still clunky, and also sounds more like something you would say of an emigrant - as in, Rupert lives in Australia, but he is of English origin.

If you want to specify people of English ancestry and heritage, one option I've heard is anglo:

An English person or person of English ancestry.

Since that can have multiple meanings, however (here in Canada, an anglo is an anglophone regardless of background), you could get more specific and say Anglo-Saxon:

A person of English ethnic descent.

  • 1
    Note that Anglo-Saxon excludes Welsh, Scottish, and Cornish people, who are in no way immigrants to the United Kingdom. So I don't think this is the word the OP is looking for. – Peter Shor Nov 16 '18 at 14:16
  • 1
    @PeterShor I suppose it depends on whether the asker does want to single out "English" as opposed to "United Kingdom". I'm not positive there is a non-historically-fraught blanket term for all those; regardless, I removed the reference to immigration. – Alan T. Nov 16 '18 at 16:03

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.