I am looking for a word of phrase that would describe the abrupt change of day to night, similar to what you can witness closer to the Earth's equator. The phrase will be used for a name of a tune. Something that comes to my mind is in the lines of:

night's break in

barging of night

but I am unable to find this exact wording used anywhere

  • 3
    What's wrong with nightfall? As a rule, things tend to fall pretty quickly. Nov 15 '18 at 14:00
  • 1
    Hi Max, welcome to English Language & Usage. You might not be aware that there are strict rules for single-word-requests: "To ensure your question is not closed as off-topic, please be specific about the intended use of the word. You must include a sample sentence demonstrating how the word would be used." You can add this using the edit link. For further guidance, see How to Ask, and make sure you also take the Tour :-) Nov 15 '18 at 14:07
  • 3
    To add to @FumbleFingers suggestion, which I think is the correct one, you may care to read about Asimov's famous Nightfall, which deals with civilization-spanning consequences of the unexpected arrival of night.
    – Dan Bron
    Nov 15 '18 at 14:08
  • Would something like "eclipse" work as a song title for you? Obviously, it's not literal but it is somewhat poetic and sudden. Nov 15 '18 at 15:06
  • Plunged into darkness.
  • Plunged into night.

  • The city was plunged into darkness.

  • The planet was plunged into night.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.