What is the name of those things where you put your face in a hole and someone takes a picture so it looks like you're something else? E.g. a cardboard/wooden stand with a picture of a pirate and a mermaid with the faces cut out, and you and your friend put your faces through the hole so in the photo you look like a pirate and a mermaid?

  • 1
    Unimpressively, they are called face-in-hole props.
    – Phil Sweet
    Nov 14, 2018 at 1:30
  • 1
    Wow! We have a "photography" tag!
    – Scott
    Nov 14, 2018 at 1:31
  • @Scott - Yeah, with 15 questions.
    – Hot Licks
    Nov 14, 2018 at 2:05
  • This Q is better asked on Photography
    – Kris
    Nov 14, 2018 at 8:01

2 Answers 2


I don't think that there is a definitive name for it, but here are some of the names it's called. Personally I like "peep board" and it works just fine. Try searching on the internet and see the results.

  • peep board
  • peep-hole board
  • seaside peep-through board
  • your-face here cutout
  • carboard cutout
  • comic foreground
  • seaside photo board
  • happy fun time face board


  1. https://uk.answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20080715124528AAPPp9p
  2. https://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb/showthread.php?t=611546
  3. https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1156485

They're called stand-in / cut out photo stands

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.