I'm looking for a word that is used when someone talks about ordering something custom-made. I've heard it mostly associated with buying art, like paintings only made for the buyer.

I've thought about order, procure, purchase, but they're not quite it.

  • 2
    Probably commission? My worry is “custom-made” covers a lot of territory, and for example one does not commission a bespoke business suit. But one does commission artwork.
    – Dan Bron
    Commented Nov 9, 2018 at 21:33
  • @DanBron That's exactly it! I can never remember it. Put it as an answer so I can accept it.
    – Valrog
    Commented Nov 9, 2018 at 21:48
  • 1
    I’m too lazy for that ;) But SE allows you to self-answer to to accept that answer. I’ll upvote you.
    – Dan Bron
    Commented Nov 9, 2018 at 21:48
  • 1
    @DanBron Alright, thanks. You saved my tonight's sleep.
    – Valrog
    Commented Nov 9, 2018 at 21:50

1 Answer 1


As Dan Bron pointed out, the word is commission.

Commission: An order for something, especially a work of art, to be produced specially.

Wikipedia has a page for it.

Commission (art): In art, a commission is the act of requesting the creation of a piece, often on behalf of another.

Example: In ancient Rome, large architectural projects were commissioned as symbols of imperial glory.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.