I have a phrase like this:

John enjoys translating economics- and IT- related articles

Is this a correct usage of the words economics- and IT- related? I think I saw such method of joining separate words that refer to the same common idea - related in this case, but can't help but wonder if it sounds clumsy to a native speaker.

1 Answer 1


It's called suspensive hyphenation, and you used it correctly, except you need to close the space between IT- and related.

John enjoys translating economics- and IT-related articles

Here's the AP stylebook entry on suspensive hyphenation:

SUSPENSIVE HYPHENATION: The form: He received a 10- to 20-year sentence in prison.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.