We call these "cosmetics": skin moisturizers, perfumes, lipsticks, nail polish, eye and facial makeup, etc.

Then what's the term for things like wigs, lashes and hair?

  • 2
    Technically ... prosthetics. But pragmatically speaking, that’s usually only applies to noses, legs, alien rubber makeup, etc.
    – Dan Bron
    Nov 8, 2018 at 16:13
  • 1
    Are you talking about fake eyelashes and fake hair, rather than the eyelashes and hair that naturally grow on your body? Dec 9, 2018 at 14:46
  • @DanBron Agree - but you'll never see a "Prosthetics" section next to the makeup aisle. Perhaps Accessories may work?
    – Balaz2ta
    Dec 19, 2018 at 4:08
  • @Balaz2ta Having recently been through a number of department stores' ground floors for Christmas (traditionally cosmetics and perfumes and accessories), I don't recall seeing anything like a special section for 'things made of or for hair' next to scarves and handbags. I'd expect these 'hair' things to be sold by ... hat makers? Hair dressers? What does amazon call them? I just looked them up: wigs and eyelashes under Beauty and Personal care'. This sounds so close to cosmetics, and I'm sure the local pharmacy has eyelashes in the cosmetics section.
    – Mitch
    Jan 9, 2019 at 14:41
  • @JanusBahsJacquet Yes Jan 29, 2019 at 19:32

1 Answer 1


These things could be called

accoutrements n
additional items of dress or equipment, or other items carried or worn by a person, or used for a particular activity
Oxford Dictionaries

For example, accoutrements of fashion is attested.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.