The word travell caught my eye recently. It seems it's an archaic version of travel. But is it still in use ?

AmEng traveled/traveling BrEng travelled/travelling

But both AmEng and BrEng use travel right ?


  • 2
    Possible duplicate of "Focussed" or "focused"? Rules for doubling the last consonant when adding -ed Note that "travel" is spelled with one l, in both Britain and America. – WS2 Nov 3 '18 at 12:35
  • Is Wikidiff a reliable source? I've never heard of it, nor of travell. Dictionaries of current English don't carry travell, though it's a very plausible historical spelling variant of travel... or perhaps of travail. Someone with OED access should be able to help. – tmgr Nov 3 '18 at 15:34
  • 1
    Travell is archaic. But travelled, traveller, travelling are still used in England. – GEdgar Nov 3 '18 at 19:40
  • @GEdgar perhaps more accurate to say outside the USA rather than in England. – k1eran Nov 3 '18 at 21:33

The OED marks "travell" (both noun and verb) as being "ME–16", which means that it was used in Middle English to the 1600s. The latest example they have with the spelling is from 1660:

From Monte Fiascone we travell a plain and pleasant Champion to Viterbo.
The diary of John Evelyn

I think it's pretty safe to say no, it is not used anymore. Everyone spells it "travel".

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.