I'm looking for a word to describe the type of hand-cuff straps used in, for example Avatar the film. They begin as a straight strip with a curve like a tape-measure, then when you "crack" them they curl around the wrist.

1 Answer 1


OK, I have no idea about The Avatar, but your description reminded me of product for bicyclists. Apparently it is a reflective band that is called "Slap and Wrap", and you can buy it on Amazon.

As far as I remember, they come as a solid piece, that is "slapped" over ankle or wrist. They are also called "slap bracelets".

  • 1
    Thanks, I knew that I'd seen them elsewhere, you've pinpointed it. Will wait the standard 24 hours to see if a single word turns up, meanwhile thanks. Commented Nov 2, 2018 at 22:11

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.