I'm looking for a noun that describes a single movement through a pre-defined area. Up until now I've been able to use pass, as in "the person made a single pass through the room," but on its own I feel that "pass" is not descriptive enough, and "pass through" gets too long/awkward.

For context, this will be used to name a construct within a program, where a RoomPass would be an object describing one person's movement through a Room.

  • Cross the room? – user067531 Oct 30 '18 at 15:17
  • Cross is close, but I should have specified that the person may not always start at one side and end at the opposite. Imagine a hallway: a person may move from one connected room to another, but those rooms could both be on the same side. In that case I wouldn't say the person crossed the hallway, but they still passed through it. – Andrew Ault Oct 30 '18 at 15:28
  • That's about whatever language you're programming in, not English. If it was about English, how could you distinguish "move" or "pass" or "move/pass through"? Either way, please note they can't apply to one person and however many people, they passed "along", not "through" anything (exceptions apply). What's ambiguous in English won't become more clear in a less-forgiving language. – Robbie Goodwin Nov 29 '18 at 22:20

If you want a short descriptive word, the word you've used fits

move verb
\ˈmüv \
moved; moving

Or you could go with a more interesting word

traverse verb
tra·​verse | \trə-ˈvərs also tra-ˈvərs or ˈtra-(ˌ)vərs \
traversed; traversing
Definition of traverse (Entry 1 of 3)
transitive verb
1a : to go or travel across or over
b : to move or pass along or through

With your example sentence (fragment):

the person moved through the room
the person traversed the room

Your object could be named RoomPath or RoomTraversal, describing the path that something took rather than the action (even in programming, objects prefer to define objects).


You might be able to borrow a term from the telephone industry, which has often found a need for abstract terms when ordinary concrete common-sense terms could be misleading.

For example, on a multi-line phone unit connected to a switchboard, there is the concept of a line appearance. The switchboard is connected to several outside lines, of which a subset can “appear” on any given phone unit. It’s mostly a historical term these days, but you can find it in old manuals like this one from Mitel.

So you could have a RoomAppearance, defined (like a phone call) by its start time, end time and the equivalent of a calling party.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.