I'm struggling to remember the word, going through a bout of lethologica I guess. If someone can help me that would me great. I believe I first heard the word being used by William F. Buckley, if that's to any help. Perhaps, the word begins with 'Ch'- although I can't suggest that with certitude, It might come in handy. Thanks!

1 Answer 1


Perhaps "collectivist" is the adjective you are looking for. Buckley frequently decried what he referred to as "collectivism" on American campuses and elsewhere as the enemy of individualism. (See, e.g. one of his best known works God and Man at Yale.)

When Buckley used the term (especially in the 1950s and 1960s) he implicitly or explicitly evoked the collectivist ideology of the soviet union. That is still the first definition in the online Miriam Webster ("a political or economic theory advocating collective control especially over production and distribution also: a system marked by such control"). The second definition is "emphasis on collective rather than individual action or identity." Definition here.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.