What is it called, the gesture whereby a team stack their hands on top of each other's with their palms face-down, then swing their arms quickly backwards, and go "Yeah!" or something, before they enthusiastically engage in some sort of teamwork activity?

  • Do you have a term for this in your native language? Hand-stack (as mentioned by Ricky) has an entry in tvtropes.org. It also has good results in a Google image search. I didn't see any definitions for "hand huddle", but it has better Google image results, and it's alliterative... I think.
    – Zebrafish
    Commented Oct 18, 2018 at 7:50
  • I also think huddle is going to clue people into what sort of hand stacking is going on. Also potentially circle up.
    – stevesliva
    Commented Oct 18, 2018 at 15:14

1 Answer 1


Oddly enough, it is actually called a "hand-stack."

According to this link, anyway:


  • 1
    I got that as one of the results Googling the gesture but it seemed too on the nose, and I couldn't find an authoritative source for it. Commented Oct 18, 2018 at 5:08
  • I don't know. You could look up the Latin words for "hand" and "stack" and make up a term: why not?
    – Ricky
    Commented Oct 18, 2018 at 5:23
  • 1
    The more informal an expression is, the longer it takes to achieve any significant level of authoritativeness. Language description can very snobby, so it is is a good idea to respect the users actually using the term as being the authorities. Commented Oct 18, 2018 at 6:02
  • @Ricky What I Googled was "hand stacking gesture", sir. Being overtly facetious doesn't help. In case you didn't know, I'm not a native speaker. Commented Oct 18, 2018 at 7:13
  • Hm. MW says hand stack is "a small pile of hay". Commented Oct 18, 2018 at 7:29

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.