I'm seeking a single English word I recently learned (and then promptly forgot!) --a specialized technical term meaning fictional writing focused around the depiction of another work of art (e.g. a painting, piece of music or a play).

Example: Walter Moers' ______ book The Labyrinth of Dreaming Books really strongly evoked the sensation of sitting in a theater, watching a play.

This is a real English word, but not one in common general use --you would expect it in an academic context, or to be used by a professional critic.

  • descriptive – user2236 Oct 17 '18 at 14:37
  • Ode to, nod to, homage (French loanword now incorporated into English), or their more pejorative cousins, like rip-off, etc? – Dan Bron Oct 17 '18 at 14:43
  • No, this is a technical term. I've edited my question to clarify. – Chris Sunami Oct 17 '18 at 14:49

ekphrasis as in "The Picture of Dorian Gray is an ekphrastic novel."

  • 1
    Thank you! It proved to be hard to search, and the closest thing I could think of was "eidetic" which is not quite the same. – Chris Sunami Oct 17 '18 at 15:16
  • 1
    You learn something new every day. I was unable to figure this out by searching and was so curious that I was refreshing the page every couple of minutes until this answer appeared. – Colm Oct 17 '18 at 15:16
  • 3
    Hi Yubei Tang, welcome to ELU StackExchange! Thank you for answering the question. Please edit to include an explanation, context, and supporting facts. you can offer evidence, such as the definition from a good online dictionary, or contrast your answer with other answers. Whatever will make this the “right” answer. This is what makes answers useful – to the asker, and to future visitors. Kindly see: “Real questions have answers, not items or ideas or opinions”. – bookmanu Oct 17 '18 at 17:24
  • What's the definition? – BruceWayne Oct 17 '18 at 22:10

This site is temporarily in read only mode and not accepting new answers.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .