Many languages have a verb to describe friction between two objects e.g. The door xxxx the carpet. Is there a similar way to say so in English rather than "There is friction between the door and the carpet"? I guess "fricts" is not a word :)

  • 1
    Have you tried a thesaurus? this would help you. The best word with doors on a carpet or similar surface is ‘brush’ because the surface is most like the bristles of a soft brush. So a door “brushes” across a carpet.
    – Tuffy
    Oct 15, 2018 at 22:37

2 Answers 2


to rub TFD

To apply pressure and friction to (a surface).

As in:

The door rubs the carpet.

to scrape is a close second choice.

  • 1
    Scrape would be for a hard surface, tho.
    – Wordster
    Oct 15, 2018 at 22:44
  • @Wordster or a hard object, especially if the pile on the carpet is shallow
    – No Name
    May 2, 2021 at 10:45

There's no verb for word friction (noun). It's an exception in English grammar. However, there's an explanation to this action (verb) ie to rub (against each other).

  • "to rub" was already given as an answer. Aug 20, 2023 at 7:28
  • Hello, Urvashi. Grammar deals with how words are conventionally assembled to make intelligible passages; the study of the meaning of individual words (and lacunas) is classed under semantics. Aug 20, 2023 at 10:00

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.