Is there any word in the English language that contains the letter combination "-cy-" and pronounced with a hard 'c'? I find it strange that all the common use words are pronounced with a soft 'c' if the 'c' is followed by a 'y', considering that Middle English pronounced the combination as 'ky'.

  • 1
    "... considering that Middle English pronounced the combination as 'ky'" -- source?. – Kris Oct 9 '18 at 10:43

Here's a (most likely incomplete) list of all the words I found where cy has a hard c:

  • Baccy is pronounced /ˈbæki/.
  • Choccy is pronounced /ˈtʃɒki/.
  • Laccy is pronounced /ˈlaki/.
  • Leccy is pronounced /ˈlɛki/.
  • Piccy is pronounced /ˈpɪki/.
  • Placcy is pronounced /ˈplaki/.
  • Talcy is pronounced /ˈtalki/ or /ˈtælki/.
  • Tobaccy is pronounced /təˈbaki/.

All of these words (except for "talcy") seem to have been formed within the past 200 years. Some words that would have been spelled like this end up with a k added, such as colicky.

  • Other than talcy all have a double-c, though. – Kris Oct 9 '18 at 10:40
  • They necessarily have a k added on because otherwise the c would be soft, a double-c is not. – Kris Oct 9 '18 at 10:42

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.