This has been bothering me all day. I'm having that problem where a specific word just disappears from your vocabulary for whatever reason. Google is incredibly unhelpful.

The word is used when two specific pieces of information don't seem to add up, or you're not sure how to piece them together, and it's used in a context like this: "I'm not sure how to [x] this new information with what we already know."

Another use would be when someone says two different things that seem contradictory: "I don't know how to [x] his latest statement with his original speech or supposed goals."

  • I'd probably use connect: I'm not sure how to connect this new information with what we already know.
    – I.Am.A.Guy
    Oct 6, 2018 at 15:43

1 Answer 1


It's not restricted to OP's exact intended sense of find a perspective from which two apparently contradictory facts become mutually compatible, but in practice the most likely term would be...

I don't know how to reconcile his latest statement with his original speech or supposed goals.

From Cambridge Dictionary

to find a way in which two situations or beliefs that are opposed to each other can agree and exist together

More informally / idiomatically, there's also (again, from Cambridge Dictionary)...

square (sth) with sth
to match or agree with something, or to think that one thing is acceptable together with another thing

  • Reconcile is exactly the word. Thank you!
    – aida
    Oct 6, 2018 at 12:18
  • 1
    +1. I was thinking of "accommodate" which certainly fits the intention, but reconcile is better. Oct 6, 2018 at 12:26
  • Just a note: I frequently hear rectify used where reconcile is meant. They don't mean the same thing.
    – Phil Sweet
    Oct 6, 2018 at 12:42
  • 1
    @Chappo: I think within the contexts under consideration, accommodate normally implies not only that one of the "facts, value judgements, perspectives" is much more firmly established than the other (it's the dominant position). It also usually implies that it's this "pre-established" perspective that will be modified in order for some new position to be compatible. A one-way street in terms of what shifts might be needed. Oct 6, 2018 at 12:44

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.