In university I learned that we say to do a degree in X but I saw many other sources where it says to take a degree in X.

Which is correct? Is there a regional difference?

  • 6
    In the US, at least, you generally get a degree.
    – user13141
    Oct 29, 2011 at 17:54
  • 3
    And in the US, before you actually get a degree, you are working on it, not doing it. Oct 29, 2011 at 19:37
  • I am in the US. My impression that "take a degree" is British terminology. If so, it would have been good if those answers from 10 years ago also told us what location they are talking about.
    – GEdgar
    Sep 4, 2021 at 12:51

4 Answers 4


The OED’s definition 34a of take is:

To receive, get (something given, bestowed, or administered); to have conferred upon one (spec. a sacrament, office, order of merit, degree, etc.)

That confirms my first thought that you can only take a degree once you have earned it. Before you reach that stage you have to study for a degree or, much less formally, do a degree. In British universities you can read for a degree, but that has a rather stiff sound to it these days.

  • But after you have accepted your degree then take is no longer relevant. You must have taken or even took a degree. Whilst studying is take verb (ACT); to do or perform: Shelley is taking (= studying) economics at university. Also, the question is, I would suggest, incorrect. In university I learned that we say I am doing a degree in X but I saw many other sources where it says taking a degree in X. Unless gaining a degree has become instantaneous, not continuous.
    – Brad
    Sep 4, 2021 at 12:40
  • Just to be clear: Barrie England's answer was posted in 2011. His last answer on EL&U was posted in 2014 and the last time he logged in was 8 months ago. It's unlikely that he will respond to any comment or observations.
    – Mari-Lou A
    Sep 4, 2021 at 12:56

I would generally say, and usually hear, that a person is pursuing a degree in something. Such as, "John is pursuing a double degree in business and marketing."



You can pursue a degree in X. You can get a degree in x. (Americans use this expression most.) And you can work on/towards a degree in x.

North Americans would very much be at a loss hearing "do/take a degree".


Both are fine, but in the States we usually say, "get a degree in" while in the process and "have a degree in" once it has been conferred.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.