Is "shrubble" a well-defined word? I thought it means low lying brush and dirt.

Thanks in advance!

closed as off-topic by Jim, Scott, J. Taylor, Mari-Lou A, AmE speaker Oct 3 '18 at 4:57

This question appears to be off-topic. The users who voted to close gave this specific reason:

If this question can be reworded to fit the rules in the help center, please edit the question.

  • 1
    What do you mean by “is it a word”? It looks like a blend of the words “shrub” and “rubble”. I can easily imagine that “shrubble” might be used as jargon by some particular group of speakers that find it useful to have such a word, but as far as I know it is not in common use. Can you give a more detailed description of how you encountered this word? – sumelic Oct 3 '18 at 0:35
  • I cannot remember where I first encountered it, but I always thought it was a well-defined word. E.g. He wandered into the shrubble. @sumelic – Sergio Charles Oct 3 '18 at 0:47

"Shrubble" n. A little sprout or spray.

1674 N. Fairfax Treat. Bulk & Selvedge 128

The seed heaves up from a sprouting or shrubble to the scantling of height..that nature has cut out for it.


It looks to me as though 'shrubble' is the diminutive of 'shrub'.

I've learned a new word, today.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.