If two American strangers (or for that matter any nationals) are compatriot for each other What is equivalent of a person who is from the same college or university as yours?

See below example:

Somboon to Jim: Hi, Do you like the Philippines?

Jim to Somboon: Hi, we liked Philippines a lot. Jack and me are compatriots. We are US citizen. So we like to travel different countries.

Somboon to Jim: Oh you are from the same country, but you look different. I thought you are Filipino.

Jim to Somboon: No I am not. But Jack and me are in fact ___________ (from same college).

marked as duplicate by lbf, AndyT, Laurel, Peter Taylor, bookmanu Sep 26 '18 at 17:58

This question has been asked before and already has an answer. If those answers do not fully address your question, please ask a new question.

  • 1
    How about "fellow alumnus"/"fellow alumni"? – Hot Licks Sep 25 '18 at 11:52

Collegemate :

A person from the same college.


Or classmate if you are

a member of the same class at a school or college.


  • Is "Fellow-collegian" or "Co-collegian" a possibility. – AMN Sep 25 '18 at 11:37
  • @AMN - yes, “fellow collegian” is used - google.com/…, whike co-collegian is not. – user067531 Sep 25 '18 at 11:42
  • Neither is in standard usage. Also, neither specifically designates the compatriot as being from the same university. Indeed, the least awkward situation to use "fellow collegian" would be at an event attended by students from multiple colleges where one might say something like, "Today you and your fellow collegians embark on new chapter...." – MDHunter Sep 25 '18 at 13:16
  • A classmate would have to be in the same class, and hence attend at the same time as you. OP hasn't stated whether that is a problem or not, but it sounds like an unnecessary narrowing of scope to me. – AndyT Sep 25 '18 at 14:15

This use is common in American English so can't speak for British English or otherwise, but sometimes you may hear the phrase sharing an Alma Mater.

Jim and I share an Alma Mater, so it's interesting that after some years we'd come to work at the same place after college and meet again.

Alma Mater is Latin for nourishing mother, and is a term used to refer to the higher education institute one graduates from, with a certain degree of fondness. Two people who have gone to the same university (and, subsequently, graduated from), for example, are then said to share an Alma Mater.


Some U.S. colleges have relatively well-known nicknames for their students, so if you’re writing fiction, you can draw on these. For example two graduates of Syracuse University might choose to refer to themselves as we’re both Orangemen. This wouldn’t work in the dialog you use as an example, since it usually requires the third person to be familiar with that general sector of the U.S. college sports scene, but in a different context it might be useful.

In general, it would be far more common to say at the same school or went to the same college, unless you are striving for an overeducated, pretentious, and somewhat “precious” effect.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.