I've been trying to find this word for ages. It's on the tip of my tongue, but I can't find it. Here's a scenario:

  • Guy 1: Did you see that curve ball by that baseball player?
  • Guy 2: Yeah that was really well done!
  • Guy 3: I don’t understand a thing Guy 1 and 2 are saying. They are using so much _____

The blank part is a word that I can't remember.


The word typically used for this is jargon:

Special words or expressions that are used by a particular profession or group and are difficult for others to understand.
Oxford Dictionaries

For example:


One word for this is lingo

Defined by Merriam Webster as:

b : the special vocabulary of a particular field of interest The book has a lot of computer lingo.

Guy 3: They are using so much lingo that can't understand a word they're saying.

And just for grins, since your question used Baseball as an example, here's a site on Baseball Slang and Lingo


While jargon and lingo are general terms for this idea, a more domain-specific term for this is sportsing. Anecdotally, I have heard it mostly used by peers who are sports-averse.

example usage from the vectorbelly webcomic

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.