Every language has usage conventions that cannot be deducted from a basic dictionary. For example, to describe highly concentrated tea, English speakers will usually use "strong tea". Is there a scientific/linguistic term for such conventions/word pairings?

1 Answer 1


The word you are looking for is collocation:

In corpus linguistics, a collocation is a sequence of words or terms that co-occur more often than would be expected by chance. In phraseology, collocation is a sub-type of phraseme. An example of a phraseological collocation, as propounded by Michael Halliday, is the expression strong tea.
Wikipedia: Collocation

The right dictionary to use in this case is a collocation dictionary, such as OZDIC. Alternatively, several Ngram tools can be used for this: searching *_ADJ tea in Google Ngrams or _j* tea in a BYU corpus will tell you which adjectives are used before tea.

  • Thanks, this helps. It seems to be related to statistical NLP. I was looking for something a little different: say I am looking for an ADJECTIVE to describe a NOUN. I am looking for a term that describes conventional ADJECTIVES that can be used for the NOUN... not sure if that makes sense :-)
    – Sleepster
    Sep 15, 2018 at 17:06
  • 1
    @Sleepster It's still a collocation. See edit for more info.
    – Laurel
    Sep 15, 2018 at 19:16

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.