Normally, Can we use -some after noun/adjectives for the meaning of tending to? such as mansome, girlsome, computersome.

  • 1
    First you need to look look at a dictionary of derivations. You will find that ‘-some’ coms from German -sam, via old English -sum. Theoretically, you can coin any adjective you like by adding ‘-some’ to a noun. But if you do so, it is a courtesy to signal the fact by placing it in single quotes. Be aware also that there is a host of other adjectival suffixes.
    – Tuffy
    Sep 14, 2018 at 6:59
  • The few adjectives ending in -some (e.g. winsome, gladsome) are old-fashioned or literary and not in everyday use. Sep 14, 2018 at 11:11

1 Answer 1


No. A correct method that always works is to add -like

  • Computer -> computerlike
  • Boy -> boylike
  • Woman -> womanlike

But sometimes there is a shorter form:

  • Boyish
  • Womanly

If this shorter form exists, it will usually be listed somewhere under the dictionary entry of the noun

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.