For example

  • "Adam and Eve" is (almost) never said as "Eve and Adam".
  • Making tea: "milk or sugar", but rarely "sugar or milk".
  • Elevator: "up or down" is more common than "down or up".

Some groupings are equally common in both orders:

  • "coffee or tea" / "tea or coffee"
  • "time and space" / "space and time"

Is there a word to describe this order?

  • You can find an answer here!. They're called irreversible binomials :-) Sep 7 '18 at 8:37
  • 1
    @Araucaria, thank you for the answer! It is definitely what I was looking for (and a duplicate of the provided question you shared). I didn't use/have the correct search terms to find the results. Sep 7 '18 at 9:15
  • Yes, that's often the way :) Sep 7 '18 at 15:05