I’m trying to figure out the best way to refer to someone in a resume. I once received an award from former Secretary of Defense Donald Rumsfeld when he was still the Secretary of Defense. I use this as part of my resume. I want to acknowledge that he is no longer the secretary of defense, but also want to convey that I received the award while he was actively serving. I dont want it to seem like I received some fake award from him by accidentally bumping into him at a baseball game and he gave me his left over unwanted crackerjack prize. Is there a easy way to give him a title that expresses this without actually using half a page on my resume to explain? There’s got to be a word for it, right?

  • 1
    The then Secretary of Defense. – Kate Bunting Sep 3 '18 at 7:25
  • 1
    How is "former secretary of Defense" bad? – Slavic Sep 3 '18 at 7:33
  • @KateBunting +1 I think you should expand that into an answer. – Kris Sep 3 '18 at 8:49

If you wish to make it clear that the award was made while Mr. Rumsfeld was in post, you can say 'the then Secretary of Defense'.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.