Say, you are on the phone and your conversation partner offers something you first need to discuss with somebody else before you can give an answer. I feel like it sounds unnatural to say "I first need to discuss about this and will couple our decision back to you". There must be other expressions to replace "discuss" and "couple back". My question is: what would be a more proper, natural sounding version of what I just mentioned? And can there also be made a distinction between formal and informal?

  • couple-back. I am not sure i know what that means.
    – lbf
    Sep 3, 2018 at 0:52
  • Writing advice is off topic.
    – Kris
    Sep 3, 2018 at 9:11

1 Answer 1


"I need to discuss this with x; I will get back to you."

Or, "I will talk it over with X and call you back."

Both phrases are polite. A married person will often consult the spouse before agreeing with a third person.

  • Got it. Thanks a lot! Especially the last one is also good to know. Sep 3, 2018 at 9:28

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.