In Austria, there is newspaper holder that looks like this:

Newspaper holder

This allows you to hold newspapers in a more convenient way:

newspaper holding apparatus

Is there a better word for this device in American English than newspaper holder?

Sample sentence:

In the library, the newspapers were attached to newspaper _______ which made you feel like in a café.

  • Are you looking for a simple newspaper stick as suggested in the accepted answer or the more complex device you pictured? Aug 31 '18 at 17:32

It is a newspaper holding stick

Newspaper holder generally refers to different kind of container where you keep papers and magazines.


It appears this is closely if not inseparably linked to Vienna and Viennese coffeehouses.

Hammacher Schlemmer sells them as Viennese Coffeehouse Newspaper Holders. Zangra also calls them Newspaper Holders and links them directly to Viennese coffehouses.

The travel site Vienna Unwrapped lists them as one of their top five insider gifts to buy in Vienna.

So I think the best you can do is newspaper holder and if you want to explicitly refer to the type shown in your question, go with Viennese coffeehouse newspaper holder.

  • 1
    They also exist in Italy, it's not exclusive to Vienna, especially popular in cafés/bars.
    – Mari-Lou A
    Aug 31 '18 at 18:10
  • Seems like they would be common throughout Europe and anywhere folks enjoy a nice cuppa while reading the paper. I'm pretty sure I've never seen one in the US. Aug 31 '18 at 18:25
  • 1
    They've got the stick/rod version in Berlin, but they aren't nearly as comfortable for reading as I imagine the one in the OP's picture is. (Sometimes it's stapled so you can't read the inner margin.) I think the rod version is more for keeping the newspaper tidy so it's not a mess after the first customer reads it.
    – S Conroy
    Aug 31 '18 at 18:50
  • Here in the US, the rod version is used in libraries where people either hold them in both hands or lay them on a table. Hard to drink coffee, though, while holding a newspaper with both hands and coffee shop tables here are too small to lay out the paper. Also, coffee shops (in my area) don't usually provide newspapers for customers to read; some will sell them. Aug 31 '18 at 18:55

enter image description hereAs a native of Vienna I'd use Viennese newspaper holder (a) which is the literal translation of the German term Wiener Zeitungshalter. Other devices which are not as sophisticated I'd call newspaper sticks (b).

  • 1
    Hello, and welcome to the EL&U. If you provided references and links, your answer would be much improved. See tour.
    – fev
    Aug 8 '21 at 10:05
  • These terms have already been given in earlier answers. Aug 8 '21 at 13:58

If I needed to refer to the metal contraption initially pictured I would use ‘paper rack’.

  • 1
    This would be better with a authoritative source for your chosen term. Aug 8 '21 at 13:53

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy