I am designing a device with two similar components close to its tip, see below. I need some descriptors to tell the two components apart. What would be the best words to describe the positions? Something to distinguish closer-to-the-tip and slightly-further-to-the-tip.

enter image description here

  • 2
    Closest to, and furthest from, the tip? – Michael Harvey Aug 29 '18 at 11:24
  • 2
    That’s beside the point. – Kris Aug 29 '18 at 12:33
  • 1
    "Penultitip." ;) – Jason Bassford Aug 29 '18 at 12:45
  • 1
    In the above diagram I would refer to the second blue square as being 'at the neck'. The first blue square would be 'at the head'. – Nigel J Aug 29 '18 at 21:19

Proximal is nearest to the point of attachment and distal is furthest away. So in this diagram you could describe the proximal and distal component Alternatively, you could say subdistal as as meaning near the tip.


Component A and B are situated on the device's axis side by side in the vicinity of the device tip.

It may require an individual to envision the axis to comprehend the proximity among components and the tip.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.