What is the proper English word that means a publication (e.g. in a paper or online) consisting of a series of photographs along with short author’s comments? Here is a live example of such publication. Can it be called a photo report (and if yes, then photo report or photoreport?), or there is another established term for it?

  • I'm not sure we've got a settled word for this. Different publications will brand these stories differently - the Washington Post calls them "visual stories". – John Feltz Aug 28 '18 at 21:34
  • 1
    I am informed that when such photo-heavy articles appeared in Playboy magazine back in the 1960s and 1970s, they were termed pictorials. – Sven Yargs Aug 29 '18 at 1:08

This is sometimes referred to as photojournalism or a photo-essay.

The links above are to Wikipedia, but here are definitions from Oxford English Dictionary:

Photo-essay: A series of thematically related photographs, usually supplemented or linked together by a narrative text or commentary; an essay, biography, etc., consisting of numerous photographs, with or without accompanying textual matter.

This definition is first cited in 1948.

The Atlantic Coast Exhibition by Eliot Elisofon, a Life Magazine photo essay, closes this week end.

  • 1948 Portland (Maine) Press Herald 5 Nov. 15/5

Photojournalism: The use of photographs in journalism; journalism consisting primarily of photographs.

The first citation of this term is from 1938:

While Photo-Journalism is a comparatively new development in America, it has already taken quite an important position in Europe, where it developed during the past ten years.

  • 1938 A. Eisenstaedt in W. D. Morgan & H. M. Lester Miniature Camera Wk. iv. 67/1
  • Did I understand properly that photojournalism is an occupation, and photo-essay is a resulting product of this occupation? – Hydrochoerus Hydrochaeris Aug 28 '18 at 21:39
  • @HydrochoerusHydrochaeris photojournalism can refer either to the act or the product. You could say "There was some great photojournalism in that magazine." You could also say "For a living I work in photojournalism." – RaceYouAnytime Aug 28 '18 at 21:42
  • Could I say “Today I came across three great photojournalisms”, or only “…three great photo-essays”? – Hydrochoerus Hydrochaeris Aug 28 '18 at 21:48
  • 1
    The former would be unusual. You might say "Today I came across three pieces of great photojournalism." – RaceYouAnytime Aug 28 '18 at 21:52

Your link points to what is colloquially called a "photoblog" or a "photolog". It is rooted in the concatenation of "photo" and "blog". However, it is not recognized as an official word by OED or Webster (yet).

Photoblog : Oxford Living Dictionaries

photoblog NOUN

A blog in which the postings are primarily in the form of photographs.

‘I'm helping them set up a photoblog which will hopefully give everyone a chance to see some of those amazing pictures’

Wikipedia has an entry.

  • How would you call this kind of story, if its contents and composition were similar to my link, but published not on the Internet, but, say, in a paper magazine in 1970s? – Hydrochoerus Hydrochaeris Aug 28 '18 at 21:51

photo story OED

n. a story with accompanying photographs; (in early use also occasionally) a story told in photographic form, a film.

As in:

1992 Working on her photography in the late '40s, she succeeded in getting a major photostory published in the London-based ‘Picture Post’.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.