Is “illustrationist” an existing word? Or should I use ‘illustrator’ instead?

closed as off-topic by FumbleFingers, curiousdannii, MetaEd Aug 18 '18 at 12:36

This question appears to be off-topic. The users who voted to close gave this specific reason:

If this question can be reworded to fit the rules in the help center, please edit the question.


It is a legitimately formed term, combining "illustration" and the suffix "-ist". But, since the term "illustrator" exists and is commonly used, that is preferred. You might still want to use "illustrationist" in some cases since it tends to imply a more exceptional talent than the mundane "illuatrator".

  • It's a bit like that John Wayne movie called "The Shootist" rather than "The Shooter" (or "The Gunslinger"). It has some novelty value. – user184130 Aug 18 '18 at 11:43
  • @JamesRandom Bingo. – tchrist Aug 18 '18 at 12:41

Yes, you are correct. You should use illustrator. The artiest who express their thoughts through illustration is called Illustrator.


Excerpt from Wikipedia:

An illustrator is an artist who specializes in enhancing writing or elucidating concepts by providing a visual representation that corresponds to the content of the associated text or idea.

Illustrationist is grammatically correct, but not a vogue word.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.