Today, I googled, and could find the terms, like dip and plop.

Is there any word when we pour water into the glass, and we hear the sound produced within a bottle?

As I poured myself a drink, I listened to the water ______ into my empty glass.

picture of water pouring into a glass

  • 4
    Just FYI, neither "dip" nor "plop" describes that. Commented Aug 16, 2018 at 20:39
  • 2
    Iqbal, why don't you REMOVE the reference to the glass, since you very explicitly DONT WANT the sound of it hitting the glass?
    – Fattie
    Commented Aug 17, 2018 at 4:00
  • 1
    FWIW all the answers refer to the kind of noise produced when the water comes out alternately with air going in to replace it, which is not what your image depicts. (AFAIK there is no word for the sound of a smooth pour like in the image, probably because it's so quiet you just hear the water landing in the glass.) Commented Aug 17, 2018 at 15:29
  • 1
    @MissMonicaE, I thought that someone would say the same as you said here. I will change the image, after being online through my PC.
    – Ahmed
    Commented Aug 17, 2018 at 16:12
  • 3
    The word dip is not onomatopoeic, it describes the action of immersing, or lowering something in liquid. You dip (or dunk) a biscuit in a cup of tea, for example. You dip your toes in the sea if you're afraid it is too cold. The water from a receptacle (bottle, can, basin, etc.) does not dip, it "pours" or "flows".
    – Mari-Lou A
    Commented Aug 17, 2018 at 17:03

5 Answers 5


You can try glug.

glug (ɡlʌɡ) n
a word representing a gurgling sound, as of liquid being poured from a bottle or swallowed

  • 1
    Isn't it that the glug is a sound produced within our throat amid during water.
    – Ahmed
    Commented Aug 16, 2018 at 17:39
  • 7
    That is the sound of a liquid passing through a narrow opening, whether it be glass, plastic, ceramic, or flesh. Note that this particular definition says "... being poured from a bottle or swallowed." It can go either way, which means it works in either context.
    – Robusto
    Commented Aug 16, 2018 at 17:46
  • 3
    Onomatopoeia is the formation of words that mimic sounds that occur in the world, such as buzz for the sound a bee or fly makes, or splat for the sound of a wet item smacking on a hard surface (smack itself is probably onomatopoeic as well).
    – Robusto
    Commented Aug 16, 2018 at 17:58
  • 3
    There was a cartoon with Daffy Duck where at some point he has to pretend he's a champagne bottle, and the waiter 'pours' Daffy, and for Daffy to sound realistically like liquid pouring out of a bottle he says "skoykill, skoykill, skoykill", pronounced like that other river through Philadelphia, the Schuykill.
    – Mitch
    Commented Aug 16, 2018 at 20:06
  • 3
    Note that glug is a word "representing a gurgling sound". The word for the gurgling sound is "gurgling" :)
    – Fattie
    Commented Aug 17, 2018 at 3:57


Make a hollow bubbling sound like that made by water running out of a bottle.

Gurgle (Oxford)

  • 2
    +1 This answer fits my usage as a Native American English speaker. If I were to write my own definition I would say Gurgle is "the sound produced by the water running into other water, or bouncing off the sides of an open vessel." Whereas, I would define Glug as "the sound produced when an air bubble enters the mouth of the bottle that is being emptied of a liquid."
    – Lumberjack
    Commented Aug 17, 2018 at 19:19

Definition from Google. I like this word, it sounds a little less vulgar than glug.

burble verb 1. make a continuous murmuring noise. "the wind burbled at his ear" synonyms: gurgle, bubble, murmur, purr, whirr, drone, hum, rumble "two fountains were burbling outside"

  • To burble is what the Jabberwock does as it comes whiffling through the tulgey wood.
    – David K
    Commented Aug 18, 2018 at 12:26

Slosh - softer than splash, and also very applicable to drinks.

  • 1
    Can you cite some examples of this usage from books, articles, etc.?
    – Jay Elston
    Commented Aug 21, 2018 at 15:49
  • @JayElston For usage, you can try 'heard sloshing into glass' or similar in Google Books. Liquid is frequently heard sloshing out of, into and in containers. Sometimes it's just sloshing, without being heard, as it can also be felt or seen doing that.
    – loonquawl
    Commented Aug 22, 2018 at 7:15
  • 1
    I know I could do that. So could anyone else. But citing references gets upvotes -- set this answer for an example.
    – Jay Elston
    Commented Aug 22, 2018 at 16:50

I personally would probably use the word cascade.

Verb 1. (of water) pour downward rapidly and in large quantities.

Usage examples::

  • a."water was cascading down the stairs"

  • "rain cascaded from the roof"

synonyms: pour, gush, surge, spill, stream, flow, issue, spurt.

  • "Cascading" is not a sound, though.
    – MJ713
    Commented Apr 27, 2023 at 12:21

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.