Is there a single word describing someone who is impossible to live with because of their bad manners?

Such as in the example:

'John, my housemate, has terrible manners; he's an awful person and impossible to live with.'

I thought about using the words 'unlivable person' but that sounds a bit strange to me and it's not a single word.


A person who is hard to put up with may be described as insufferable. A person who lacks graceful behaviour or acceptable/pleasing social skills is uncouth.

|improve this answer|||||
  • 2
    I think this is too broad. You can be insufferable for many different reasons, including being overly meticulous. – user13141 Oct 22 '11 at 8:29
  • @ onomatomaniak: I've stated that the word refers to someone who is "hard to live with". Going by the italicized part of OP's question, it appears to me he is looking for a concise way to express impossible to live with. – Autoresponder Oct 22 '11 at 9:13
  • 1
    That's fair. I'm not saying it's an inapplicable word; in fact, it's quite a good one. I'm just saying it has a meaning that's broader than "impossible to live with because of bad manners". – user13141 Oct 22 '11 at 9:16
  • @onomatomaniak Huh? What a strange objection. Almost every word you can think of (except for precisely defined technical jargon) is “broad”. The context narrows the meaning. That’s how language works! – Pitarou Feb 26 '12 at 3:47

A great word for a habitually messy person is a sloven.

|improve this answer|||||

I'm fond of untoward

: difficult to guide, manage, or work with

and intractable

: not easily governed, managed, or directed

|improve this answer|||||

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.