I am looking for a single word that you would use when someone has left a company. This can be because the person quit, they are fired, retired,...
I was thinking about Discharged but that seems like it only means fired. I thought of other words like Out of service but that just feels like it's a machine.
Is there a single word that I can use to describe this status?

I really need it to be a single word.  I want to use it like a kind of “stamp” to add over the person’s profile picture in our intranet.

  • 1
    Erm... but He has left the company IS often a "less aggressive" version of The company sacked him. An even more "weasely" euphemism is The company had to let him go. – FumbleFingers Aug 7 '18 at 14:43
  • 1
    He and the company have parted ways or He has separated from the company or He no longer works for the company ... – Jeff Zeitlin Aug 7 '18 at 14:45
  • 1
    How hard is your requirement that it be a single word? Is that simply preferable, or is that an absolute requirement? – JoshG Aug 7 '18 at 14:49
  • I really need it to be a single word. I want to use it like a kind of "stamp" to add over the person's profile picture in our intranet. – Nils Tiebos Aug 8 '18 at 6:24
  • Oh, does that mean your single word even needs to cover people who've died? And at the other extreme of finality, interns who've completed their internships and have already accepted offers to return after they graduate? That's quite a range there. – ruakh Aug 8 '18 at 14:53

Any person who leaves a company for whatever reason becomes an ex employee.
The OP can join the compound with a hyphen, i.e. ex-employee, if a single-word is absolutely necessary. Google reports thousands of instances using this form.

  • Although not exactly what I was looking for, this might be the closest answer. – Nils Tiebos Aug 9 '18 at 12:10

There may not be a single word for what you are asking. Terminating employment is generally so fraught with circumstances and combinations of circumstances (voluntary/involuntary, for cause/down-sizing, retiring/found a better job, personality conflict, etc.) that descriptions will either be very specific or deliberately obscure. Neither case lends itself to single words.


What about "Bob switched/changed companies"?

  • 1
    I thought of that, but I really need a single word. Also this couldn't be used when the person retired. – Nils Tiebos Aug 8 '18 at 6:26

Not at all pejorative, and suggests they've more to do:

plural alumni
2 : a person who is a former member, employee, contributor, or inmate
- a Saturday Night Live alumnus


I think the word "resign" is a good and more formal alternative. "Vacate" is also another formal verb with the same meaning.

He resigned from his job.

or something like

He will vacate his position next week.
  • 1
    Do those words not indicate that the decision to quit was his alone? It doesn't feel like you would say resigned when the person was fired or went into retirement. – Nils Tiebos Aug 8 '18 at 6:25

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.