Is there a single word that means "blade within a blade"? It doesn't have to be "blade" specifically, but anything sharp (i.e. "knife within a knife", "dagger within a dagger", "[sharp object] within a [sharp object]").

Not certain if this is a valid geometric phenomenon, but the desire for such a word exists.

I'm also open to wordplay. The word itself doesn't have to formally exist, so long as its meaning is easily understood.

Example sentence:

The blade of a greatsword is smashed. Within the debris was a smaller dagger; a blade within a blade; a(n) [word I'm looking for].

  • Are you asking about an arrangement where the larger knife acts as the sheath, as it were, for the smaller knife.
    – Jim
    Aug 3, 2018 at 18:03
  • 1
    – Jim
    Aug 3, 2018 at 18:10
  • The cutting version of a turducken? Aug 3, 2018 at 18:24
  • Gerber Gator Combo Axe Aug 3, 2018 at 18:26
  • 1
    Is this a metaphor for something, or do you literally mean a blade enclosed by another blade?
    – wrymug
    Aug 3, 2018 at 18:37

1 Answer 1


More generally (not necessarily sharp thing), one thing inside of another is "nested":

to fit or place one within another: to nest boxes for more compact storage.


You could also use "embedded" or "enclosed".

  • Unfortunately I was hoping for some sort of sharp context. Thanks for the suggestion though.
    – Boom
    Aug 3, 2018 at 18:56

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.