Heteronormative is used to refer to a world view that promotes heterosexuality as normal or preferred. It is usually in reference to sexual orientation. Is there a separate word for describing a traditional nuclear family of mother, father, and child, as opposed to single parents, elective co-parenting, etc.? I'm looking for a word relating to the family structure as opposed to sexual orientation.

  • 2
    Are you looking for a word to describe the structure itself, or for privileging that structure? – Acccumulation Aug 3 '18 at 14:52

I'd just call that a traditional family. Easy peasy.

We're looking for long answers that provide some explanation and context. Don't just give a one-line answer; explain why your answer is right, ideally with citations. Answers that don't include explanations may be removed.

  • To give a long answer for the sake of giving a long answer is ridiculous; the idea is to answer a question adequately. This question needed neither research nor citation. And it didn't require an explanation, either. – JoshG Aug 5 '18 at 2:04

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.