Sometimes I just want to click on a web page to give focus to that browser tab, and it can be hard in some richly functional web pages to find a bit of "blank space" to click on, where clicking won't trigger any action.

Is there a technical word for these "inert" areas on web pages?

  • 2
    Uh, "unclickable"?
    – John Feltz
    Commented Jul 26, 2018 at 23:20
  • 3
    Welcome to EL&U. Questions about specialized terminology are usually better-handled by subject matter experts; our sister site User Experience may be of interest.
    – choster
    Commented Jul 26, 2018 at 23:25
  • 1
    ...a dead spot? This may belong on another site. Commented Jul 27, 2018 at 0:12

1 Answer 1


I am sure there are many technical terms to refer to different elements of a webpage. You are not necessarily asking about the "background" (that's the term that comes to my mind) of the page, although I did find several references to that under webpage elements and design. Sometimes the background can be "clickable" anyway.

I don't think it's a technical term, but perhaps the word you are looking for is "non-interactive". Any portion of a webpage can be described as "non-interactive" (background, images, text etc.), and clicking there elicits no action. I have seen that word used several times when referring to webpage content.



Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.