I always see some kind of raised platform in a bathroom. This is used to prevent water getting out of the room. I wonder what is it called.

  • could you include a picture, as i am not sure if you just mean a step
    – WendyG
    Jul 18 '18 at 9:03
  • I've seen bathrooms with raised floors, but this is done for aesthetic reasons, I've never seen it done to prevent water egress unless it's part of the bath or shower area where those areas have a sunken floor. As @WendyG says, picture would help.
    – GGx
    Jul 18 '18 at 10:15
  • @GGx Raising is as much functional as having a sunken area. It's not just for esthetics.
    – Kris
    Jul 18 '18 at 11:51
  • @Kris What function? Can you enlighten me. I've only ever seen raised or sunken floors constructed to sink or raise a bath or shower or have an area of the flooring stand out. Certainly not to keep water from egressing the room.
    – GGx
    Jul 18 '18 at 11:59
  • @GGx Sometimes the floor may be raised to provide special plumbing or other services under it. At other times, it may be for other reasons.
    – Kris
    Jul 18 '18 at 12:02

I believe you are describing a threshold.

A strip of wood or stone forming the bottom of a doorway and crossed in entering a house or room.

Typically it is used when two different types of flooring meet (e.g. he tile in a bathroom meeting the carpet in a hallway) to cover either a gap or height difference. It might prevent water from escaping if there is only a small overflow, but that is not its primary purpose.

enter image description here

  • A picture paints a thousands words. Good answer Jul 18 '18 at 11:54
  • Agreed! Good answer... but I wouldn't describe it as a "raised platform" I'll be interested to see if the OP accepts your answer @Skooba.
    – GGx
    Jul 18 '18 at 12:00
  • The question may not be very accurate, but the threshold satisfies "raised" "at the entrance" and "to prevent water ...".
    – Kris
    Jul 18 '18 at 12:05

What do you call the raised platform at the entrance of a room?

platform entry

My sense: an elevated platform TFD

  1. (Architecture) a raised floor or other horizontal surface

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.