I was wondering if there is a shorter way (preferably a single word noun) to refer to the author of a grant proposal?

I looked up the word "proposer", but can't find the exact same usage in any dictionaries. Google search suggests that this is a French word.

The closest thing I can find is an example in this ESL question: What's the word for a party to whom a business proposal is made?

Proposer and proposed-party.

Both the proposing and proposed companies of the joint-marketing campaign celebrated their deal with much fanfare and publicity.

But the example cites no sources and doesn't actually contain the word "proposer". In addition, I'm not sure if it's the same context as a grant proposal.

Could anyone offer an official source, or suggest an alternative?

  • If you are writing a grant you are usually considered an applicant. Commented Jul 16, 2018 at 0:26
  • If you win a grant, you are a recipient. Commented Jul 16, 2018 at 0:26

1 Answer 1


I would call the author of a grant the Grant Writer. The US Department of Labor's Bureau of Labor Statistics describes the job of a grant writer thusly:

Grant writers research, draft, and submit proposals that help organizations or individuals receive grant funding.

I hope this helps.

  • the writers' help' the recipients of grants ie the grantee.
    – lbf
    Commented Jul 16, 2018 at 19:42

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.