Prompted by this question, what's a good word/expression for an adult adopting childlike speech/mannerisms when dealing with an infant?

I mean where the adult speaks in an exaggeratedly "sing-song" voice, uses childish words like bow-wow for dog, choo-choo for train, etc. A style which would be called condescending if used with another adult.


The usual term in linguistics is "motherese", but "child-directed speech" is a bit more politically correct.


I've heard it referred to as baby-talk.


The first word that comes to my mind is patronizing

  • Well I did say it would be patronising/condescending when directed at another adult, but that's not really a factor with babies/children. Actually, I wanted a generic term for the communication style, so one adult could say the equivalent of Don't patronise me! to another, using a word that could neutrally describe how Mummy talks to her little treasure. – FumbleFingers Oct 18 '11 at 21:00

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.