If I was starting a club for cool kids only, I would recruit all the cool kids by, for example, actively seeking them out and convincing them to join the club.

To keep the uncool kids out of my club, I dissuade them from wanting to be in my club by telling them that it's a dumb club and only losers join. Is there a word that describes what I'm doing to the uncool kids?

  • 1
    Ah, rather like the infamous "unvite." Along those lines, I suggest "decruting," although only as a joke, so it's not going in an answer. – James McLeod Oct 17 '11 at 22:54
  • It's called enforced "cool hygiene" - See en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eugenics :) – osknows Oct 17 '11 at 23:39
  • @JamesMcLeod "decruting" is the term I've been using. If only it were that easy. – user11475 Oct 18 '11 at 1:01
  • To slog off would be an alternative in UK slang :p . forum.wordreference.com/showthread.php?t=2247646 – James P. Aug 29 '12 at 0:17
  • frighten off, frighten away, scare away?
  • indispose, alienate
  • get rid of; shake off
| improve this answer | |
  • What the OP is describing isn't really scary or frightening, though. – Daniel Oct 17 '11 at 22:58
  • There may not be a perfect word, but I am leaning towards alienate, as well. – user11475 Oct 18 '11 at 3:49
  • Accepting for alienate. – user11475 Oct 19 '11 at 14:05

Play down, belittle, minimize, dissuade, soft-pedal, disparage, discourage. I don't think there's a perfect word.

| improve this answer | |
  • Yes, I'm beginning to think that. – user11475 Oct 18 '11 at 3:44

According to Dictionary.com:

divert: to turn aside or from a path or course; deflect.

And there is also discourage:

discourage: to deprive of courage, hope, or confidence; dishearten; dispirit.

| improve this answer | |

A word that comes to mind is nobble in the senses "to disable" or "to suborn". Phrase "warn off" might apply. Also see numerous synonyms of impede and restrain, such as throttle, trammel, restrict, baffle, inhibit, encumber, intimidate, daunt, frighten away, frighten off, handicap, and hinder. Also see disingenuity.

| improve this answer | |

One time, when America's Phineas T. Barnum had too many people at a show in his tent, he created a sign, "This way to the egress." [exit] A number of people followed it, and found themselves on the outside. So the term I might use is "egressing."

| improve this answer | |
  • 2
    IF you do it subtly, are you being passive egressive? :D – Jordaan Mylonas Oct 18 '11 at 23:29

Dissuade would be my choice, seeing as how on the other side you are trying to persuade the cool kids.

| improve this answer | |

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy