My Slavic language (Slovak) uses the word krajan, speaker can in this way name another person whose origin lies in the same country/land/area/region.

English translations I have found:

I realize I could use all of them, but still what are slight differences, and, more importantly, which one is more common? I would like to know also about UK and US difference.

Feel free to include also alternative vocabulary.

  • 2
    'homeboy' is very informal and is more for someone you know very well rather than just some arbitrary person with your same nationality.
    – Mitch
    Jul 12, 2018 at 19:37
  • 2
    In UK the first two are good, but not "homeboy" which reads like someone who stays at home to watch TV, sleep, wait for meals to be provided, etc. Jul 12, 2018 at 19:37
  • 1
    @WeatherVane 'homeboy' is nothing like that. It is informal slang from AAE that means (in its most literal sense) someone who I grew up with, friend from my neighborhood where I grew up. Usually though it just means my good friend (wherever they grew up).
    – Mitch
    Jul 12, 2018 at 19:39
  • 3
    @Mitch I wrote: in UK. We don't use the word "homeboy", but it might suggest what I wrote. OP asks about differences. Jul 12, 2018 at 19:45

2 Answers 2


Compatriot is naturally the word to express this situation. It fits the definition precisely, and is self-explanatory, refers to male and female citizens, and is identical in US and UK English.

Fellow countrymen/women is used frequently in articles due to it being a compound word (fellow+countrymen). Each word is fairly common and simple to understand, making the entire phrase easier to understand, but more of a mouthful. Usage is identical in US and UK English.

Homeboy is US mainly slang for being part of the same gang/social background. It is not frequently used, and rather informal and geographically more restrained.

  • 1
    Friends, Romans, compatriots.... :) Jul 12, 2018 at 20:44
  • There is no way to name a person "from the same country as speaker"; not in English. That might be possible in another language you care to name but in English, never. Jul 17, 2018 at 1:42

Another alternative is "fellow ".

Can be used for countries, cities, regions, etc.

As in:

"fellow Canadian", "fellow Spaniard", or "fellow New Yorker".

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.