The rice cooked in a pressure cooker for 20mins with proportional water. just broke the rice into finer pieces.

I'm really not expressing the verb well. What's the correct way to instruct

You have to "break" the rice before eating?

  • 1
    Can you explain more the situation? I don't think there's a special word in English just for breaking up clumped-up rice. – Mitch Jul 12 '18 at 11:47
  • "separate sticky rice"... still each to his own. – Mari-Lou A Jul 14 '18 at 22:28

That’s called fluffing the rice.

Here’s Bon Appetite with their rice making instructions. Note at the end where it says:

Cover the pan tightly with lid. Let rice stand, covered, for 15-20 minutes to firm up. Remove the lid and fluff cooked rice with a fork.

| improve this answer | |
  • Sweet. Thanks. In my language it is a verb which is a homonym with a slang. The slang in English is just the f-word. Word of the day. Any synonyms? – technazi Jul 12 '18 at 5:33
  • 1
    @technazi 'slang', like 'water', 'code' or 'software', is a mass noun. "...a homonym with slang". No 'a'. – Mitch Jul 14 '18 at 21:37
  • 1
    Oh, you might mean “Double dipping” where you use a utensil, that’s been in your mouth, in a community serving dish. Or when you dip a piece of food in a community condiment bowl, take a bite, and then dip that food again. – Jim Jul 14 '18 at 22:33
  • 1
    Really this should be a separate question though. – Jim Jul 14 '18 at 22:36
  • 1
    I wouldn’t classify that as “double dipping”. That’s just sharing a bottle. But to be sure, the transfer of cooties problem remains the same. – Jim Jul 18 '18 at 20:00

It is possibly


The act or process of making something less compact; often specifically the reversal of previous compaction

using compact defined as:

to pack or press firmly together.

| improve this answer | |

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.