Is there a word to say when someone frowns anxiously? Example: You just wrote a song and sang it for the first time for your best friend. By the end of the song you look at your friend, unconfident and with your forehead wrinkled and eyebrows on a /\ shape, anxious to hear his opinion about it.

  • I don't understand how frowning and being anxious or unconfident can be synonymous with happy or eagerly here. A "happy word for frowning" sounds like an oxymoron to me . . . – Jason Bassford Jul 9 '18 at 5:47
  • Jason, I know it did sound oxymoron. I edited for a clearer understanding. What I'm trying to find out isn't a variant of frowning, but a word to describe the action of furrowing one's forehead as commonly to express anxiety. Like in the example I used, when you are unconfident and really want an opinion/answer and your face seems to hover with a hesitant "So... what you think?" – Calazans Jul 9 '18 at 5:59
  • Your own term anxious seems to fit. – Lawrence Jul 9 '18 at 6:02
  • Isn't the term 'anxious frown' contradicting? I think "frown" particularly imposes disapproval, or do you mean only the word anxious would fit? – Calazans Jul 9 '18 at 6:12
  • Sample sentence, please! – alwayslearning Jul 9 '18 at 6:22

Facial features are complex and often display mixed emotions. You could use words like "contorted" or "paradoxical" to describe the facial feature(s) that you want highlight (along with anxiety) for the best resulting effect.

For example:

"I looked at her anxiously with a contorted frown (or smile) to receive her response, but the paradoxical strain on her brow gave it all away."



| improve this answer | |

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.