Is there a single word denoting "field of interest", or perhaps "field of expertise"?

E.g.: I'm looking for a mentor in my new field of interest.

  • Area and field are the usual terms among professors, anyway. Of interest is OK with either. Commented Jul 8, 2018 at 2:56

3 Answers 3


If you have some objection to saying "field of interest," you might say "discipline." A "discipline" is an area of study. I wouldn't use "field of expertise" if you don't yet have expertise in that field, which it sounds like you don't since you refer to it as "new" and are seeking mentorship.

Another word you might use is "subject." A "subject" is also an area of study but can have a less-broad connotation than "discipline" does because of being more closely associated with coursework, but that isn't necessarily the case.


Consider the noun métier. Though, I must warn you that this one by no means is an everyday word:


  1. a field of work; occupation, trade, or profession.

  2. a field of work or other activity in which one has special ability or training; forte.


speciality or specialty:

1] a special interest or skill; a special subject of study, line of work, skill, or the like on which one concentrates. TFD

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.