I'm looking for a noun to describe the situation where something is changing width. Have a look at this hypothetical window frame:

Window frame with two panes of uneven height.

Window Frame with Two Panes of Uneven Height

The bottom part of the frame changes width across the window. What might I call the category of windows where this occurs?

I have thought about "widening," but am not overly fond of it, since it might go from wide to narrow, or you could even have a situation with more panes, where it is wide-narrow-wide. Any ideas?

  • width adjustment?
    – Boondoggle
    Commented Jul 6, 2018 at 8:07
  • I would be worried that could indicate I am doing something to adjust the width, whereas I am merely trying describe the situation where the width is not constant.
    – XerXes
    Commented Jul 6, 2018 at 8:12
  • "Stepped width"; broadly, "Stepped section"; of even just "stepped".
    – Kris
    Commented Jul 6, 2018 at 8:19
  • So s3.amazonaws.com/answer-board-image/…
    – Kris
    Commented Jul 6, 2018 at 8:20
  • They're windows of variable width or of varying width, depending on the sentence you want to use them in. I don't think you will find a single word for this.
    – terdon
    Commented Jul 6, 2018 at 8:22

1 Answer 1


Window frames could be of uniform cross-section or rarely, with a change in width half-way.

Such an abrupt change in width is usually called a "step" and a member with its section having one or more such "steps" may be called a "stepped section".

For a visualization, consider the case of a "stepped beam" (Chegg via Google).


Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.